Unfortunately the piece of ground where we were to erect the tunnel was not level so Nico, Tshifhiwa and Floyd got working on it immediately.
Miss Nthaby, the branch manager at Cradlestone Mall, kept us entertained with her removal of stones from the newly raked ground. Just love her daffodil gum boots!!!
Soon the kids who were helping us arrived and the fun began.
1. Fill the black bags with river sand ~ This is the hardest work of the day as we had to shovel the sand into wheelbarrows and then into the bags ... fortunately we told the guy from Robin Good that it is better to fill the bags with sand before we build the tunnel.
2. Rewarded with a water break ... How cute do Floyd and Sarah look!!!
4. Place 2 spinach seeds in each hole and cover ~This was the first time we used seeds, we have used seedlings in all the other tunnels we have done.
7. Mix the "food" for the spinach made up of 2tsps each of calcium nitrate and filmflex ... This mixture is used to water the spinach twice a day ... Ayanda was a very patient teacher.
8. Construct and erect the shade cloth tunnel.
|My cute friend Sam|
|Even with her fancy nails Pertunia did every part of the project ... here she is threading steel wire to secure the shade cloth to the frame ... I was very impressed with her.|
|Sarah and Nthaby (one of my daughters)|
9. Celebrate the successful erection of a Veggie Tunnel ...