Saturday 1 June 2013

Friday Scare

Yesterday afternoon I was on my way to Illovo to visit my branch there when I got a call from Connor ... I said that I would call him back as I needed to get my hands free on.  I was a bit panicked as I sensed something in his voice that made my stomach turn ... It is weird how a child can just say "Mommy!" and you know that something is not right.
When he picked up the phone he said that they "were in the safe at Byron's house" ... What???  When he calmed down a bit he said they were "safely in Byron's house" and that on their way home from school a car had pulled up and stopped and when they walked past the passenger got out and tried to grab his school bag but they ran and he fell and the guy came after them but fortunately Byron saw that he had fallen and came back and pummelled the guy and got Connor up and they ran the rest of the way to Byron's house.  Connor says that all he can remember was Byron saying "RUN NOW!!!"", then falling and then being on the floor in Byron's bedroom.
Of course all I wanted to do was rush to Byron's house and cuddle this child of mine but he said he was OK and that I needn't come round ... all I could think of was an article I read where the author warns parents against 'hovering over' their children.
I had to wait until nearly 8pm to see him and make sure for myself that he was OK as they went to Dalmondeor's Fete which I think was a good distraction for the two of them.
I am really sad that these things happen to our kids ... and wonder what these grown men think of when they do such stupid things!  We will however continue to focus on the good!!!

4 comments:

  1. That is very scary, I am so glad that they are both unharmed. I can understand your feelings of wanting to rush over...I am still a mother hen to my two 30+ boys. I guess they will always be my babies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynette, When I read Connor your comment he said "So it isn't going to go away?" My answer "Nope!". Like you, I cannot ever see him as being anything but my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning little anniversary album Lynn. Yes, times have definitely changed from when we were young lol.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn this is terrible, but so relieved that Connor is okay, although mentally you perhaps need to keep an eye on him. Some really bad characters out there amongst us.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete