Sunday 5 August 2012

24 July ~ Vegetable Tunnel

I have been looking forward to today for a while ... Nedbank has an initiative to build vegetable tunnels at schools.

Today we went to Khaselihle Primary School in Kagiso ~ They run a feeding scheme at this school and are therefore worthy of having the aid of free spinach to add to their meals. 

We started out by clearing the site for the tunnel, built the tunnel and then came the really hard work of filling the bags with sand followed by planting spinach and then watering the plants.  I was amazed by four people in the team ... #1, 2 and 3 were a teacher, a student and one of the workers from the school who worked non stop and then Gert who used to work at our Roodepoort Branch as a Sales Consultant.  Their backs must have been aching after this day.

When we were finished with all the work we each got a lunch box with a sandwich, juice, apple, crisps and a chocolate.  I was speaking to my colleague Everitt telling him how the one thing in the box I could not bring myself to eat was the sandwich as I am very fussy when it comes to bread.  I then walked over to the group of boys and the one young man asked me if he could have my bread which I happily agreed to.  He sweetly blew me a kiss which I blew right back much to the delight of the group of boys.

One of the volunteer parents asked me if she could have my Nedbank t-shirt which I gave her at the end of the day ~ one of the teachers was very upset as she also wanted a t-shirt so I said I would get her one and send it to her with one of the students.  I have not been able to do this as our corporate shop has been out of stock and will hopefully have stock next week when I will deliver on my promise.

This was an incredibly fulfilling experience and I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment